FountLondon – Aldgate East
56 Middlesex Street has perhaps one of the most interesting histories of all the FountLondon buildings; in Tudor times, Middlesex Street was known as Hogs Lane, potentially because bakers were allowed to keep pigs in the lane. In 1608, it had become a commercial district for second-hand clothes and bric and brac items, quickly renamed Peticote Lane (the market is still hugely popular). In 1830, Peticote Lane’s name changed to Middlesex Street, to record the boundary between Portsoken Ward and Whitechapel and our little old building is slap bang in the middle of all of this.
The building is believed to have been built around 1640.
The building now possesses five units, suitable for A1/B1 use.
1 x small studio
1 x medium studio